Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) – Ugly Websites That Went Viral
When we were looking into creating a website to sell random products. We had in our head the idea the site had to look sexy to generate sufficient traffic and sales. It had to have all the bells and whistles and we were willing to pay for someone to build it.
We checked out websites and compared designs. Amazon and most other top end online retailers had nailed it. You could purchase anything in one click and photos and keywords made it clear on what you were buying. Easy – we just take these winning formulae and starting selling?
Then we started thinking more about this. How did these sites start?
Facebook has evolved into being an amazing and versatile application. However it wasn’t always so pretty and powerful. Before it went viral how did it look?
Then you check out Craigslist and PlentyOfFish. Not exactly websites likely to be hanging up in your local art gallery.
Moving on from appearance, how did these websites function? How do they still function? Again, Craigslist is a pretty basic website. Even Twitter is relatively simple. Sure magic may happen on the back end in the server room, nevertheless they are not overly complicated on paper.
A great website we stumbled upon compares pretty and ugly banner adverts. Surprisingly the ugly banners had more clicks. Go figure?
Another blogger that talks about landing pages raises some smart design concepts:
When thinking about your future website – consider simplicity?
You might also enjoy:
+ The Startup Dictionary – Learning the Lingo #3
+ Learning From Other Startups – 6 Real Life Stories
+ Startup Myths – I shall not be fooled again by gurus
+ The Bootstrap Challenge – Walking the Talk
Where to next? Check out a random article.
Join the conversation: Leave a comment or tweet this post.
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
About Spark N Launchhttps://sparknlaunch.wordpress.com
- December 2014 (1)
- November 2014 (1)
- February 2014 (1)
- November 2013 (1)
- September 2013 (1)
- August 2013 (1)
- June 2013 (1)
- May 2013 (1)
- April 2013 (1)
- March 2013 (1)
- February 2013 (1)
- January 2013 (2)
- December 2012 (4)
- November 2012 (4)
- October 2012 (4)
- September 2012 (4)
- August 2012 (6)
- July 2012 (9)
- June 2012 (5)
- May 2012 (11)
- April 2012 (12)
- March 2012 (12)
- February 2012 (9)
- January 2012 (6)
- December 2011 (2)
- November 2011 (2)
- October 2011 (4)
- September 2011 (1)
- why why why why why five whys #startup #biz ift.tt/1JMf8Y7 10 hours ago
- Looks like rain - Light Rain Shower and 18 C - Better read sparknlaunch.wordpress.com 22 hours ago
- Looks like rain - Light Rain and 19 C - Better read sparknlaunch.wordpress.com 1 day ago
- Four Marketing Ps Product Place Promotion Price #startup #biz ift.tt/1HBUtIH 1 day ago
- Looks like rain - Light Rain Shower and 25 C - Better read sparknlaunch.wordpress.com 2 days ago